Monday 3 March 2014

Sports Wear Project.

This has to be one of my most enjoyable projects yet. One of the reasons being is because i am a sucker for sports wear labels especially when it comes to vintage classics like Nike and Adidas for example. For this two week project seeing as it wasn't a very long assignment, i had to conjure up two main ideas which i would work with and finally produce an end out come - which was Digital Prints.
my idea generated from my research into colours, textures and fabrics which are currently in season for sports wear so this was colours like nyons bright yellows and pinks - all taken from companies like Nike Town and Trainer shops on oxford street like Office and OffSpring. Aswell as Electric blues and greens, i also made sure i researched into fabrics as to what was currently popular when reverencing sports wear and fabric, this happened to be Air-Tex a criss crossed fabric that normally is used for basket ball players or football sports wear. So i wanted to work with a palette of nylons and airtex, but i had to find my other side to my project which would contrast to what ideas i had for colour and texture. I decided to head up to the science museum in sight of inspiration for an idea, i thought of looking at the human brain where i produced a few observational drawings as well as taking photographs within the museum of real life contained brains. 

Further into my research i took my sports inspiration of basketball and focussed on numbers within sports wear for example like massive imprinted number fives which resemble the number of the sports player, then linking this to my human brain idea. By taking my pictures from the science museum and playing around on photoshop i used the magic wand tool and highlighted the brain cortex structure rather than the whole brain itself. Manipulating colour so i could branch right out of my comfort zone, initially i didn't quite like the colours as they personally were not something i found most appealing but the idea was that i could play around and experiment with colour from the brain cortex as well as putting the number five i had taken a picture of and manipulating it into a digital design. I produced seven digital sports prints from this project and thoroughly enjoyed working with my ideas. Even though i didn't quite like my designs at the beginning as i thought they were to basic and bland the more i experimented on photoshop with my photography the more i seemed to enjoy and like my work. I think my concept worked well because i had two ideas linked together which initially were quite contrasting.
















No comments:

Post a Comment